PUT DOWN THE CONTROLLER AND WALK AWAY SLOWLY

PUT DOWN THE CONTROLLER AND WALK AWAY SLOWLY
Now repeat after me: Up,C,Down,C,Left,C,Right.....

Friday, October 3, 2008

NBA Live 09 vs. NBA 2K9



Look, I'm beyond tired of hearing that 2K9 has the best basketball sim out there. 6+ years and running and shit. Some time ago, it was true and hell, it still might be true, but not in all cases. I will have to give you a couple of things to think about.

First off, I will start by saying that I've been playing EA games since Jordan vs Bird, Bulls vs. Blazers, pick one it was early on Sega Genesis and I prolly had it. Being the big corp that EA is there have this reputation as this big evil corporation, that charges high prices for cheap games. You can liken this unto the battered spouse syndrome, they're fuckin me up all the time but I keep coming back for the cheap thrills. All jokes aside they come out with these great games each year and with the big moneymakers (ie madden, live) they only have about 8-10 months to get everything done. Thats not an excuse just something to think about.

I first played the 2K basketball games in the late Dreamcast days of 99-01. They were good, and they actually gave Live a run for the money. Me not having a memory card for months totally messed it all up but, my friends and I settle for exhibtion games. I remember posting games of 122-110 and stuff. If I'm not mistaken it was Sega Sports, they did a good job.

In 2002 Live 2003 came out and I've been playing Live each year since. Live 04 sucked, Live 05 did too, Live 06 I played for Xbox 360, it was decent, remember us trippin cuz we could see sweat beading on their faces? Live 07 was good, but the superstar moves gave the game that NBA Street exta button presses feel and when you used them your player had this dominating performance, which I didnt care for too much but I used them anyway. Then last year when Live 08 came out I played it and I liked it but, when I played 2k8 I was convinced for the first time that, yes 2K sports did put out a better game.

Since Live 06, I've been hearing everyone saying that the 2K series is a better basketball simualation, and its more realistic and brahk, brahk brahk. Even my brother who is a sore ass loser, once said after I beat him in a game of Live 07 "This game sucks, 2k7 is better anyway and you cant beat me in that." Whatever, son. I have to argue a point that the game critics themselves might not like. You guys probably never played a 5 on 5 game of basketball at the gym cuz you were at the crib playing games. You became an expert at the crib, not at the gym. So how would you know what a realest sports sim would be like? Just because its hard to score doesnt make it more realistic. It just makes it playing the game more frustrating. In most games harder=better, but in sports games that isnt always the case.

The 2K series boasts a harder defense feel, which lets me make my point clear. If you've ever played basketball you know that some of the best players that are able to score, most times have the hardest time defending because they focus much of their game on scoring. Now on the 2k9 demo, they have Ray Allen locking up Kobe Bryant, while in real life series Allen was "the" defensive liability of the Celtics. How is that more real? In basketball, different players have different skill sets and unique abilities. On 2k9 unique abilities mean higher shooting percentages. How is that more real? Yes I know that 2k9 forces you to use all the players, feed hot shooters, pass the ball, you know the fundamentals of basketball to win each game. That's fine, if it was college hoops, but we're talking about a NBA sim here. In reality it isnt always the most fundamental team that gets the W. Most time its the team who has the best player or players on the court. Listen not the best superstar, not the best scorer but the best player, cuz they cant do it all by themselves.

I have an HDTV and to me 2K9 is lacking that HD look to it. The faces are less defined, the player models look hidious, the courts are bland to say the least. Why does KG have a wide waist? When I seen a preview for it I must say that unlocking animatoins later on in the year sounds like they are trying to hide an unfinished game here. Both Live and 2k9 boast rosters that update player skills and ratings everyday, and you know what? Live even makes you pay for this as a $20 add-on via PSN. That sucks I know. I dont even know if it will be worth it. As long as I can play online, the player DNA wont matter to me. Unless someone has a breakout season, I probably will skip it. Knowing the type of gamehead I am, I will go and get it anyway.

I played both demos today and to say the least, both games lack superior responsiveness when talking about controls, but whats with the lack of a crossover button on 2k9? I dont like it. I will have to see it again to talk about the gliding effect. On the 360 last year, 2k9 was the best, but on PS3 this year, I like Live.

No comments: